I’m a Scientist, Get me out of Here! is an free online event where students get to meet and interact with real scientists. It’s an X Factor-style competition between the scientists, where students are the judges.
Students submit questions which the scientists will try to answer by the next day. Students then have live online Facebook style chats with the scientists, where they ask questions, learn more about the scientists, and let scientists know their opinions. It takes place online over a two week period.
We are currently seeking partners to support an event from 4th – 15th August 2014.
While we seek support, applications for this event will remain open. If you would like to apply to take part in this and future events we are accepting applications from scientists now!
Apply now by completing our scientist application form.
Here’s a video that gives you a taste of what it’s like to take part
- The Event – How the event works and what it involves.
- Apply – The application form.
- Scientist Resources – Briefing booklet, key dates for August and a ‘Do not disturb’ sign.
- Get Sponsored – How organisations can sponsor you to take part.
- Live Chat – The live chat calendar.
- Staffroom – You can contact the moderators here during the event.
- Help – Advice on the event, such as IT problems and anwering questions.
- Feedback – We value your feedback so please fill out our survey.
You interact online with school students, answering their questions about science, research, and just about everything else. You also listen to students’ opinions on science and get them thinking about how science and genomics affects their daily lives. Students can Ask, Chat, and Vote for the scientist they think has best talked about their subject area and work.
Why take part?
- Taking part in I’m a Scientist develops your communication skills – this is the most mentioned benefit.
- It can re-energise you about your own science, and get you thinking differently.
- You will make a difference. And you’ll be learning too. Teenagers ask all sorts of questions – from the cheeky to the thought-provoking. They fizz with energy and can be infectious company.
- Strengthens links with students at local schools
Apply now and select which event you would like to take part in (we run a few throughout the year) and we’ll help you the whole way through the event, from practice ‘Live chats’ to example answers to tricky questions.
The resources for scientists taking part in the August/September 2013 event are all below. They are designed to help scientists get the most out of taking part, and to guide them through the site.
We believe that information should be free, so this part of the site is accessible to everyone. All scientists are free to use anything we’ve created on the site. This material has been created by Gallomanor (unless otherwise stated) and we have NOT copyrighted it. All material is licensed under a (CC) Creative Commons attribution license.
If you have any questions, then please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call +61 (0)410 442 629.